Here is the doughnut we are going to try Sat.
4 1/2 cups flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
Pinch of nutmeg
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 egg yolk
3/4 c. sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 c. buttermilk
3 tbsp butter, melted
Fresh Fruit Glaze (recipe follows)
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, or in a large bowl using a hand mixer, beat together the eggs and egg yolk with the sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy, 2-3 min
- In a large measuring cup, stir together the buttermilk and butter.
- Alternately beat the dry ingredients and buttermilk mixture into the egg mixture, one-third at a time, until all of the ingredients are combined and a dough is formed. It will be soft and sticky
- With floured hands, remove the dough to a floured board and gently roll out until the dough is one-half inch thick. Using 2 biscuit cutters (a large one measuring 3 to 3 1/2 inches in diameter, and a smaller one measuring about 1 inch in diameter), cut the dough into doughnuts, spacing the doughnuts as close as possible. Collect the scraps and roll out to form another batch of doughnuts.
- meanwhile, fill a deep fryer with oil, or a large pot to a depth of at least 3 inches, with oil, and heat to a temperature of 350 degrees.
- Gently place the doughnuts in the oil, being careful not to crowd. Fry the doughnuts on each side until puffed and golden, about 11/2 to 2 minutes on each side.
- Drain the donuts on a rack and cool slightly, then frost and decorate as desired.
Fresh Fruit Glaze
- Whisk chopped or pureed berries or stone fruit with powdered sugar and a little vanilla
- Place donuts on a rack and drizzle